When you think of ensuring quality and longevity in welding, putting trust in the right type of welding instrument always turns out to be a good initiative.
Whether you are a professional worker, beginner or working for a company, welding is the key to shaping the structures that are your final target. Furthermore, it is important that you get the most excellent tool on your hand because it makes the job simpler for you.
However, you can’t find any common types of welding processes appropriate for all types of jobs. But, a MIG welder will show a very satisfying performance in the majority of your welding tasks. Moreover, this type of welding is also one of the most popular and fashionable types of welding and favorite option among the workers too.
If you are a beginner in the welding world or a pro welder who is hungry for knowing more about MIG welding and what is MIG welding used for, thankfully you are in the right place.
What is MIG Welding Used for – a Powerful Welding Option
You need a MIG welder for welding metals like stainless steel, aluminum and mild steel. It is the best alternative when it comes to easy, clean and solid welding. Before knowing about the different use and purpose of this amazing tool, you need to have proper knowledge about this machine and its different aspects for running this device precisely.
What Is MIG Welding Machine
When you are remodeling structures or fixing your favorite appliances, bike or car, robustness and high quality are the key features. And that’s where this amazing welder helps you with its astonishing performance. The good news is that you can use this MIG welder for your home renovation projects too.
MIG stands for metal inert gas. As the name suggests this powerful machine works on combining or attaching metal using inert gas. Inert is the gas which is chemically inactive gas which helps the welding process.
MIG welding is also recognized by a different name – GMAW, which means Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW).
How Does It Work
Without jumping into the fundamentals of the science behind the GMAW or MIG welding, you should know the basics. Firstly, it uses a constantly fed solid electrode. The electrode is a wire which is made of metal. This thing turns into the fusion metal that exactly what you witness in the finished weld.
And, the gas used in the process is used to melt the electrode with the help of electricity for ensuring smooth welding. However, it needs to complete an electrical circuit with a grounding clamp or work lead which is attached to the metal or welding table you are working on.
Talking about electricity, this handy welder uses plenty of electrical energy to produce an arc between the wire (electrode) and the metal that is being welded. The electrical arc dissolves the electrode wire, which eventually creates the weld.
When the welding area and the pool calm and cool down, it quickly solidifies creating a new joint of fused metal. This is the mechanism of MIG welder.
What Is The Purpose Of Mig Welding?
What’s neat about this welding machine is that it very popular among newbie’s for its simple operation and you can do many small to large home remodelling projects with it. Below I have listed some significant features of MIG welder which makes it so special.
MIG welding machine helps you weld quickly compared to other welders. It can make your welding work easier reducing time and effort needed to complete an entire project. Moreover, this powerful device can run continuously for many hours with a great work rate.
You can easily apply MIG welding on stainless steel, aluminium, and on every thickness from light to heavy-duty iron or steel sheets or plates. MIG welding is better than TIG because the electrode wire feed not only performs as an electrode but also as filler. As a result, MIG is useful for welding two different types of materials together.
As the MIG welding process is very fast and diverse; it will eventually save lots of your money. Thanks to this incredible machine, now you can reduce the extra cost by finishing your project much faster. Moreover, you can find MIG related equipment at a low price in the market.
You can learn to operate this device very easily and start working with this machine after 2 weeks of practice. That why this MIG gun is very popular among beginners.
Neat and Clean
Having a protective design by emitting the inert gas through the wire and gun, it ensures a neat welding environment.
What Are The Advantages Of MIG Welding?
- It is a low-cost welding process which ensures top quality welding
- You can apply this welder on almost all types of metals and alloys
- It is a very versatile and powerful welding option
- A continuously-fed electrode minimizes the number of defects on starts and stops by maintaining a smooth welding
- It ensures deep weld penetration with minimum effort
- It can weld in almost all position
- No post-weld clean up is required
- Superb welding speed along with top quality welding job
- Perfect for a multi-purpose welding project
- Minimum skills and knowledge are required to perform a welding operation compared to its competitors
- Low fume rate
- Easy to learn and employ
What Are The Disadvantages Of MIG Welding?
- Welding equipment is less portable than TIG or Stick welding
- A high amount of light and heats are produced causing problems to some workers
- Need to be extra careful while welding thin materials
- In some case, it cannot perform well on the contaminated base metal
- Ultra violate rays can cause harm to your eyes.
- Do not perform well in the rusty or dirty surface.
Mig Welding Tips
- Always measure the depth of the metal that you are going to weld
- You should have proper knowledge about the metal type as different kinds of metal react differently while welding
- Give full concentration and use your both hand while welding objects
- Ensure that you have provided the proper amount of current to the devices.
- Make sure that you replace the contact chips when needed as they cost less.
- Wear UV ray protector glass while working to safeguard your eyes
- Don’t forget to wear gloves at the time of welding
- Keep your children away from this machine
- Always do your welding job in a well-ventilated area
- Wear a safety helmet and appropriate welding clothes
- Keep a fire extinguisher near your hands while doing welding with MIG welder.
With the mind-blowing performance, diversity and speed, the MIG welding machine will be your best friend if you start using it. As it can work continuously for a long time, it will surely boost your professional welding career.
I believe by now you have acquired some significant knowledge about MIG welding, its pros and cons and exactly what is MIG welding used for.
That’s all from us.
If you find this article educative, do let us know. If you encounter any problem, give us a heads up.